But wait New Year’s is past! You could say I am running a little late but really I did not see the need for this look back until now.
Today is significant for me. A year ago at this moment the Pitocin (which I was very against having) was starting to kick in and I was in the hospital expecting to have my baby girl any hour. That is another long story, as she was not born until 47 hours later.
A year ago, I was still employed in the corporate world, though I had been out on medical leave for a month already. A year ago my business was just this muddled pile of thoughts in my head.
This is a personal post. I decided my blog needs a little bit more of me. Sounds odd but when I look at my blog it seems a bit without personality. After all, a big part of the point of blogging is for my readers, and clients to get to know who I am.
2008 Biggest Accomplishments
- Raising my daughter for her first year (with lots of help from my hubby). I consider myself career driven but this has been more challenging then I ever imagined. After years of not giving enough credit to moms, I finally understand.
- Starting my business. This is a very close second and has been a whirlwind, especially doing so with a baby, often in a sling on me while working.
2008 Scariest Moments
- The first time I was alone with my daughter for a day. My mom left to go back to New Jersey when my baby was two and a half weeks old. I was terrified. My hubby went to work and it was just us. Now I cherish the moments of just us.
- Receiving my last paycheck. This one is still scary. I never realized how comforting it is to receive a steady paycheck every other week, and to know it will always be there. There are ups and downs with a business, and even with things going well the next client is never as guaranteed as that regular direct deposit.
2008 Biggest rewards
- The first time a client paid me. I was at my client’s house after photographing her baby and toddler, and she asked me how to write out the check. It just hit me, “Wow, I am getting paid for doing what I love”.
- First wedding booked. I had an ad on Craigslist. The bride was shocked at my low price. I emailed her back explaining my lack of experience. She was thrilled with the photographs I showed her, signed the contract, and gave me a deposit. I had my baby in her Beco Butterfly on my back. I was just delighted and tried not to jump up and down.
- Every time my baby smiles. Not much to say here, all the firsts are precious but she lights up the world for us when she smiles, or better yet giggles.
After writing these I realized I left out, giving birth. Only I can’t categorize it. It’s a huge accomplishment, scary as hell, and an amazing reward. Six weddings, piles of portraits, and a year of being a mom, I feel ready to take on 2009, my first full year in business!
The photo below is one from a personal project.